Alright, you know you desperately need to change your life. Perhaps your career has hit a dead end or simply leaves you unfulfilled. Maybe your relationship is lacking the depth and connection your crave. Does your spiritual life feel empty? Do you wish you were in better shape, looked and felt better about yourself? Wish you could stop the wardrobe shuffle of skinny clothes days versus muffin top camouflage detail? Are your issues all of the above? The biggest problem many initially face is a lack of clarity around HOW to start and launch a desire.
We know how to create plans around what we want. We know how to cut magazine pics for a vision board, glue them and hang up the board, but then what? How do we get started? Where do we start? When do we start? You know you want to, or simply HAVE to change, but how? Even more important than the how is organizing the where and what. WHERE do you want to go? WHAT do you want the outcome of your life change to be? So how do you figure that out, particularly in the midst of a difficult or frustrating life situation?
- Find a quiet place. This step doesn’t have to be complicated like traveling to Nepal and scaling a mountain for silence. Getting up early before everyone else in your household and finding a quite comfortable place can be just as powerful. The key here is finding someplace you can be in silence, where you can not just think, but more importantly bypass the endless loop of mind chatter and tap into the deep, wise, “knowing” self. Spirit. Your soul that calls to you in whispers.
- Ask Questions. After finding that quiet place, ask yourself some questions. The trick is to NOT think about the answers, instead simply be present enough to be aware of what arises when you ask yourself the question. Don’t try to answer, allow and feel into yourself for what the answer feels like to you. A few powerful introspective questions include: Why do I want to make this change? Is my life situation the problem or is it something else? If I could do anything what would it be? Is the answer to that question realistic?
- See, smell, hear, breathe. After taking the time to be introspective, take the awarenesses that have bubbled up for you and begin to form a mental picture or movie of your desired outcome. This picture or mental movie should be complete in every way. See what the change in your life looks like. How does it feel to re-invent your life and live this new you? What are the sights, sounds and smells of your new life? Transport yourself to that place and truly immerse yourself in the vision of a new you.
- Do nothing. I’m sure I just surprised you with this step. What I mean by do nothing is simply take some time, a couple days to a week to just stop and spend some time with your new vision. Try it on for size before putting energy, time, or money down on making any changes.
- Repeat steps 1 through 3. After you’ve spent some time with your vision, work through the process again and see if you would like or need to make changes to the vision. Essentially you are acting as your own editor as if you had written a book or a report. What works and what doesn’t with your ideas? Write your life, edit, revise, tweak and improve.
- Finalize the Vision. When you are not only comfortable but excited about the vision you have created for a re-invented you, it’s time to put your vision down on paper. Write down exactly what you see and where you would like to be. Putting your vision, your goal, down on paper is the most powerful part of the visioning process. Take your vision and put it somewhere you see it daily. Use your written vision as a powerful reminder on a daily basis of what you should be doing to create the future you desire.
- Take Action. In some sense, the vision creation process is the easiest part of making a change. The true challenge is putting your vision into action. Without action, your vision is simply a dream, a hope. You want to make your vision a reality, so take action. Each day ask yourself, ‘Am I actively taking steps to create what I want or am I choosing things that take me away from what I want?’
In a future blog entry I’ll share the specifics of how to put your vision into action. You will also find out in much greater depth how to Re-Invent your life through my upcoming Get Off Your Ask! program which will launch on the website later this summer! Stay Tuned! Are we connected? Would you like to be? Click here and send me a note, I’ll keep you posted on what’s happening, where I’m speaking next and when the launch of Get Off Your Ask! will take place. I’m also happy to give you my Busy Women’s Guide To Getting Stuff Done! for FREE. Click and you shall receive 🙂 Here’s to taking a step in the direction of your Mastery and transforming your dream into your reality today! Cheers, -Tamara